DEFY Media Ramps up Development and Distribution Team, Adds Key Hires with Growing Programming Slate
Top Digital Programmer Bolsters Team with Addition of Former TV Executives; 10 New Scripted and Non-Scripted Formats Recently Greenlit with Original Shows for go90, YouTube’s Comedy Series from SMOSH, and Reality Comedy Series Hosted by Gavin McInnes
(Los Angeles, CA) October 13, 2015- DEFY Media today announced the appointments of Christopher Willey to VP of Development and Alex Lin to Director of Development, reporting into DEFY’s Chief Content Officer Barry Blumberg. Willey brings over 15 years experience in film, TV and digital development holding executive roles at Paramount Pictures, Walden Media, MTV Networks, and most recently as head of development for Conde Nast Entertainment. Lin comes to DEFY from his tenure at NBC Entertainment, serving as Manager of Comedy Development, where he developed and produced scripted comedy programming, nine of which went to series.
The hires come as DEFY is aggressively ramping up development of original programming for its top digital brands while also expanding distribution across new and emerging platforms such as the recently debuted go90 mobile platform and Comcast’s Watchable. Production is now underway for three original series set to launch on go90 in early 2016, each under leading DEFY brands Clevver, Screen Junkies, and Made Man. The hire of SVP of Business Development Thao Hoang, who joined DEFY in May from Viacom, came on the heels of growing new platform opportunities for DEFY content in both licensing and original production.
DEFY is also in production for the much anticipated SMOSH original YouTube series which is set to debut early next year. Other deals in development include projects attached to comedians Trevor Moore (working title America High Five) and Theo Von (working title Blind Dates).
“Chris and Alex are instrumental hires as we ramp up development and production to meet the increasing demand for our content as we expand our distribution with new partners in SVOD, OTT and other streaming platforms,” commented Barry Blumberg, DEFY’s Chief Content Officer. “We fully expect them to play key roles as we build on the must-watch programming our company has become known for.”
DEFY recently announced a deal with WME to package its slate of original projects for television and other formats and is currently working with RatPac entertainment to develop several concepts.
DEFY current produces over 35 weekly series, 29 of which average over 500,000 views per episode. In sum, DEFY-produced content generates over 600 million video views monthly and reaches 125 million viewers across their 60 million YouTube subscribers, 80 million unique web visitors and consumers of their mobile and OTT apps, which have been downloaded over 22 million times. The company recently marked record video views for the month of July fueled by the success of several recently debuted programs such as “Every [Blank] Ever,” which introduced a new cast to the SMOSH brand fold, Clevver’s “Beauty Break”,” and “DIY Prop Shop”.
Programs recently put into production include:
Go90 (90 + total episodes, launching early 2016 )
- “Super Fan Builds” – Hollywood’s top prop makers surprise Super-Fans with one-of-a-kind, iconic recreations of an element from their favorite franchise
- “Clevver Weekly Hollywood Rundown” – An energetic take on the week’s entertainment news and celebrity gossip
- “100 Things” – Aussie Sebastian Terry’s journey to find purpose in life has grown into a global movement of people chasing their dreams. This inspirational series follows him as he helps others achieve something on their “100 Things” list
DEFY brand programming
- Prank It FWD: Season three of the celebrated positive prank series that started a movement across the globe returns for the holidays
- MADE MAN :“Mantervention” – Hosted by Gavin McInnes (Vice co-founder, “How To Be a Man”), this tough-love series attempts to save unwitting guys from their worst habits
- YouTube comedy series slated for 2016
- “Every [Blank] Ever” – SMOSH’s new cast throws a big, fat magnifying glass on the ridiculous tropes and hilarious stereotypes from movies, music, technology, video games, and popular culture
- SMOSH Games Animated –Popular SMOSH Games moments are uniquely animated by the fans
- Cell Outs –SMOSH Games crew goes mobile for game play – get their view on the latest and most popular games
- Clevver: Cheat Day –Quirky hosts take a break from trying to eat healthy and try the weirdest and most indulgent foods out there
- Gurl: Real Gurl Advice – Interviews with real college girls giving their high-school-selves great advice about dating, sexuality and life
DEFY’s current weekly popular series include:
SMOSH: Lunchtime with SMOSH, SMOSH Babies (animated), Every [Blank] Ever; SMOSH Games: Game Bang, Honest Game Trailers, Grand Theft SMOSH; ScreenJunkies:Honest Trailers, Movie Fights; Clevver: Beauty Break, Totally Clevver, Dirty Laundry, Debateable; AWEme: DIY Prop Shop, Man At Arms: Reforged, Epic How-To; Break: Prank Bank; The Escapist: Zero Punctuation.
ABOUT DEFY MEDIA
DEFY Media is the top digital producer and programmer for 13-34 year olds, and the largest owner of YouTube channels and leading media brands across the comedy, lifestyle and gaming verticals. Each month, DEFY-produced content generates 600 million video views and reaches 125 million viewers across our 60 million YouTube subscribers, 80 million unique web visitors and consumers of our apps, which have been downloaded over 22 million times. DEFY Media brands include Smosh, recently named by Variety as the top brand for 13-17 year olds, Break, known for its top program “Prank It Forward®”, and Screen Junkies, home to the highly influential digital series “Honest Trailers”. The world’s top brands partner with DEFY to build immersive advertising solutions that deliver unparalleled access to this influential audience. With uniquely integrated capabilities in content development, studio production, distribution and promotion, DEFY Media is built for content delivery in the digital age. Please visit us at www.DEFYMedia.com.